Application Instructions- MA Programmes
We are now accepting applications for the 2017/2018 academic year! The deadline is set for 15-April-2017. We will send admissions notifications on a rolling basis through that date.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING AN APPLICATION
UPEACE accepts applications in electronic format only through our online application form. Applicants are therefore advised to first collect all supporting documents and other required information before submitting the form. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The documentation and information provided in an application reflects on the quality of the applicant. Please be sure that it is complete and accurate and that all essays and supplementary materials are representative of the applicant’s work. It is not acceptable to misrepresent accomplishments; borrow from the works of others without proper acknowledgment; or to submit material that has been written, re-written, or heavily edited by others. Breaches of these protocols will result in immediate rejection of the application.
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
The online application form can be accessed as many times as needed with the login and password provided the first time an applicant enters the system. The form has a “save” button that allows the applicant to save the information and go back to the form at a later time. It is imperative to collect all of the data and supporting documents before clicking the submit button. Finally, in addition to gathering the required documents it is very important to carefully read the information provided below relating to the individual sections within the on-line form.
Required Supporting Documents to be Uploaded:
The online application only requires electronic scans of required documents. Should admission be granted, the following documents will be eventually be required in official hard copy:
- English Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS) - if applicable
- Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Copy of Diploma (and English translations if applicable)
- Six passport size photos
Upon submission of the on-line application form and supporting uploaded documents, the UPEACE Admissions system will send an automatic confirmation email. The date and time of submission will be noted in the system. Applications received after the established relevant deadline will be transferred for the subsequent academic year.
Each application received by the established deadline will be reviewed for completeness. A second acknowledgment will be sent to the applicant by the Admissions Officer informing whether or not the application is complete and able to be passed on for academic review.
We are not able to provide any information about the status of applicants over the phone or to third parties. Information will only be provided using the email entered by the applicant in the on-line application form. Please address any email inquiries to email@example.com.
An English Language Proficiency Test Report is required for all applicants from non-English-speaking countries. The following English Proficiency Tests are accepted:
Band of 7 ( good user)
Paper based TOEFL (PBT)
Computer based TOEFL (CBT)
Internet Based TOEFL (IBT)
UPEACE TOEFL Code: 7180
TOEIC and TOEFL-ITP are not accepted
Tests that are more than two years old at the time of application are not valid. Applicants who took the English test more than two years ago must repeat the test and present the updated results.
To waive the English language proficiency test report requirements, applicants from non-English speaking countries may present one of the following documents:
- Undergraduate or previous master's degree from an English speaking university (language of instruction must be clearly stated on transcript)
- Letter from a higher education institution certifying enrollment in or completion of an undergraduate or master's programme where the medium of instruction was English
- Exceptionally, when the hard copy version of the TOEFL Test Scores Report will not be available by the established deadline; the ETS electronic Test Scores Report will be accepted on a temporary basis.
Should the applicant be admitted, original hard copy English proficiency test scores will be required upon confirmation of acceptance.
The statement of purpose must be between 500 and 1,000 words and state the applicants name, the programme to which they are applying, and clear responses to the following questions:
- Why have you decided to apply to this programme?
- What are your expectations from this programme?
- What are your career plans after completing this programme?
- What type of multicultural exchanges have you had that would inform your academic experience in this programme?
Two letters of recommendation are required for all applicants. The letters should be from faculty or academic advisors from your academic experience or managers or other superiors from a professional work environment who are qualified to evaluate applicant's potential for graduate study. The letters need to include the referees title, their relation to, and how long they've known the applicant. The letters should also outline specific examples of applicant's work and why the referee feels the applicant is a fit for the specific UPEACE programme.
Examples of valid referees or recommenders are:
- Faculty, deans, or professors
- Academic advisors
- Immediate supervisors
- Research project managers
- Mentors in a superior position in the workplace, volunteer, or University setting
Letters from family members, close friends, or non-superior colleagues are not accepted. Signed letters can be uploaded directly to the online application form or the referees can email their letters directly to the admissions officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official undergraduate transcripts bearing the signature of the registrar and the school seal must be uploaded to the on-line application form. Please include the official grading system used by the University or country, if this is not clearly explained on the flip side of the transcript.
- If the final transcript includes transfer credits, a separate transcript showing the details of the transfer credits from the previous university must be submitted.
- Applicants applying during their final year of the undergraduate programme must provide an official in-progress transcript.
- If the original transcript documents are not in English, both an official copy in the original language and an official English translation must be provided.
Should the applicant be admitted, official/original hard copy transcripts that are stamped with the official seal of the institutions will be required upon enrollment. If the original is not in English, a hard copy of the official translation will also be required for enrollment.
For exceptional cases where the original transcript is not available, a certified, authenticated or with “Apostille” hard copy will be required for enrollment.
Transcripts from MA programmes can be uploaded as a supplement to the undergraduate transcripts but not in place of.
- Undergraduate Bachelor's Degree:
- Official undergraduate diploma bearing the signature of the registrar and the school seal must be uploaded to the on-line application form.
- If the original diploma is not in English, both an official copy in the original language and an official English translation must be sent.
- Applicants applying during their final year of the undergraduate programme must provide an official letter from the university's registrar's office that includes the student's anticipated graduation date. Once available, the student will need to provide original copy of their degree in order to complete this part of the application process.
- If the original diploma documents are not in English, both an official copy in the original language and an official English translation must be sent.
Should the applicant be admitted, official/original hard copy diploma stamped with the official seal of the institutions will be required upon confirmation of enrollment. If the original is not in English, a hard copy of the official translation will also be required for enrollment.
For exceptional cases where the original diploma is not available, a certified, authenticated or with “Apostille” hard copy will be required for enrollment.
The curriculum vitae or resume for UPEACE application must clearly state the following information:
- Name and birth date of applicant
- E-mail address and phone number
- Postal address
- Academic background (including institution name, graduation year, and degree obtained)
- Professional work experience (including name of the institution, *start date and end date with month + year format, and basic job duties)
- Additional relevant experience (volunteer work, etc.)
- Multicultural exchanges
FINANCIAL FORM (financial form)
Applicants must download, print, and sign the UPEACE Financial Form to acknowledge the information outlined in this form. It is then to be upload to the on-line application form.
All applicants must upload a clear, color photocopy of their passport pages showing the following information:
- Country of Citizenship
- Birth Date and Place
- Issuance and expiration date. This date must be 6 months after the ending of the academic programme at UPEACE (end of January of the year that follows completion of programme). This is needed to start the Costa Rican Immigration processes for the Student Temporary Residency.
It is unnecessary to attach blank pages or previous visa stamps.
A passport size photo (not a second scan of the passport) must be uploaded to the on-line application form with the following characteristics:
- In color
- 3.5 by 4.5 cm (2 x 2 inches)
- Frontal view from head to shoulders
- Single color background, preferably white.
Should the applicant be admitted, hard copies six passport size photos printed on photo paper will be required upon confirmation of admission.
* The application period for the 2016/2017 academic year is now closed. We look forward to opening the process for 2017/2018 near the beginning of November 2016!
*When the admissions process opens, applicants from Groups III and IV on the Country List should submit their applications as early as possible to ensure they are able to work through the visa process with sufficient time if admitted. Country List
Note Regarding Hard Copy Files: If admitted, specific details of what is required in hard copy will be outlined in your admissions package.